Saturday, December 28, 2013

THE INSECURE VERSUS THE INSURED

Proverbs 28:1have
The wicked flee when no man pursueth: But the righteous are bold as a lion”
.
INTRODUCTION:  I’m thrilled that some of you are continuing to read a chapter of Proverbs every day (as I am).  Today I opened my Bible to Proverbs 28 and asked the Lord to speak to me from this chapter.  I couldn’t get by verse one.  I thought about it, I prayed about it, and I thought about it again.  But I decided to keep the rule and slowly read the entire chapter.  BUT I couldn’t get verse one out of my mind, so I got up and got a cup of coffee and tried to think about some other verse, but that one was stuck there.  Do you know what I mean?

So, I said to myself, all right, then I will meditate on Proverbs 28:1, thinking about what I am supposed to learn, remember, or do. 

 I. THE INSECURE – Prov. 28:1a
“The wicked flee when no man pursueth” (28:1a).

When I was a teenager I was INSECURE about everything.
1) I was insecure about my job.
2) I was insecure about my schooling.
3) I was insecure about my friends.
4) I was insecure about a girl friend  
5) I was insecure about marriage in the future
6) I was insecure about my future in general
7) I was insecure about death.  My best friend died in a car accident.  He was 16 and I was 17.

II.  THE INSUREDProverbs 28:1b
“But the righteous are bold as a lion” (28:1b).

 The righteous are bold as a lion because they have assurance from the Lord.

I almost died several times that I knew of.  My older brother told me, “Everyone almost dies every time they get on the highway.”  But twice when I was fourteen, I almost drowned in a lake. When my two friends saved me and pulled me out on dry land, I didn’t want them to turn loose of me, even on dry land. 

But when I became a Christian, I received eternal life.  I was eternally changed.  My life style was changed.  I didn’t know that II Corinthians 5:17 was in the Bible until later.  (“Therefore if any man be in Christ, he is a new creature: old things are passed away; behold, all things are become new.")

I felt insured!  I felt so secure in the Lord about my future and about EVERYTHING.  My first memory passage was Romans 10:9-10: “9That if thou shalt confess with thy mouth the Lord Jesus, and shalt believe in thine heart that God hath raised him from the dead, thou shalt be saved.  10For with the heart man believeth unto righteousness; and with the mouth confession is made unto salvation”. No one told me to memorize Romans 10:9-10. I just loved this Scripture.  It spoke to me day and night.

Since then, I have memorized many verses that show me that God has eternally secured me for Himself.  I am so grateful for His Gospel, for His Goodness, and for His Guidance.  Since then, I have never felt insecure.  

1 comment:

  1. Hello Brother Hal Thompson,
    A friend told me about your comments, and I'm checking them out now. That's a pretty cool revelation there about being insecure. I've been insecure my whole life; I know exactly what you're talking about, and yes, you are absolutely right to feel totally secure in God's care. I have to admit though, today as a born again Christian, I still struggle with doubt and fear. I guess I just don't know how exactly to get past these insecurities. Maybe I need to meditate on Prov 28:1.
    God bless you sir, and thanks for the insight..
    From a brother in Ohio named Eric...

    ReplyDelete