Tuesday, September 8, 2015

THE THREE R’S OF REDEMPTION (Divisiont I A)

“To open their eyes, and to turn them from darkness to light, and from the power of satan unto god, that they may receive forgiveness of sins, and inheritance among them which are sanctified by faith that is in me” (Acts 26:18). 

  I. RECOGNIZE THE SITUATION – Acts 26:18a
     A. The Payment for Sin – Rom. 6:23a
     B. The Provision for the Sinner – Rom. 6:23
 II. RENOUNCE SIN AND SATAN – Acts 26:18b
III. RECEIVE THE SAVIOR  - Acts 26:18c

Introduction:  Acts 26:18 is one of the main verses I have used in evangelistic meetings as well as in discipleship classes.  This verse was given to Paul when he was commissioned to be the apostle to the Gentiles.  It involved three distinct concepts that a person must know to come to the Lord Jesus Christ: I. Recognize the situation; II. Repent of Sin, Self, and Satan; and III. Receive the Savior.

The teaching this week concerns the first part of the Apostle’s commission.  The sinner needs to recognize his situation.  That’s what it means when God told the Apostle that he was to “open their eyes.”  God was not talking about their physical round eyeballs. He was talking about the eyes of understanding.  In other words, the sinner must first understand something. I believe it was Dr. Chafer, the president of Dallas Theological Seminary many years ago, who said, “Give the sinner something to believe before you ask him to believe.” 

I once violated this principle when talking to about forty university students in the city of Guadalajara. I asked how many believed in Jesus. They all said they believed.
“Oh,” I thought, “How am I going to get out of this?” So I asked another question: “What Jesus do you believe in?” 
They answered, “The right Jesus.”
 I came back with, “Who is the right Jesus?” Many people in Mexico are named Jesus and there was at the time a big sign over the street saying to vote from Jesus (somebody). I wanted them to say, “The Jesus of the Bible.
“But they quickly told me, “The Jesus of the Catholic Church.”  Then they clarified, “Jesus, the Son of Mary, the Mother of God.”  We had a friendly discussion about this for about two hours.  We ended the discussion still being friends, but they left without changing their opinion. 

So we will start by looking at the first thing Christ commissioned the Apostle Paul to teach sinners.         

   I. RECOGNIZE THE SITUATION - Acts 26:18a
“To open their eyes” (26:18a).

“To open their eyes” is the first thing the Apostle Paul, as the apostle to the Gentiles, was commanded to do.  The Gentiles were to have the eyes of their understanding opened to recognize their spiritual situation—that  they had all sinned and that the consequence of that sin, if it was not dealt with, was eternal death in the lake of fire.  In home Bible studies, I ofen ask the participants to read aloud Romans 6:23: “For the wages of sin is death; but the gift of God is eternal life through Jesus Christ our Lord.” The verse contains clearly the payment for sin and the penalty of sinIf we have three or four people in the class, I ask each one to read the verse. Many times after they have read it several times, they already know it by memory. I tell them this verse gives a quick way to recognize one’s spiritual situation before God. Most of the people in our studies are working for wages, so I may ask, “Would you want to be paid for your works?”
So let us see how we can apply this verse in such a way that a sinner can recognize the situation he is in.

A. The Payment for Sin – Rom. 6:23a
For the wages of sin is death” (6:23a).

Here are some verses which give the consequences of our sin, that is “the wages of sin is death.”

(Gal 5:19-21)  19Now the works of the flesh are manifest, which are these; Adultery, fornication, uncleanness, lasciviousness, 20Idolatry, witchcraft, hatred, variance, emulations, wrath, strife, seditions, heresies, 21Envyings, murders, drunkenness, revellings, and such like: of the which I tell you before, as I have also told you in time past, that they which do such things shall not inherit the kingdom of God.”

(1 Cor 6:9-10)  “9Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God. “

In one home Bible study we had about six people who never missed the class.  One night a husband and wife came who were new to us, but neighbors of the people in whose house we held the Bible study. I was teaching on the Prodigal Son, and the man showed exceptional interest. On Sunday when we saw the lady of the house where we held the Bible study, she told me the man had taken a week off from work just to read the New Testament.  He had realized from attending that class that he didn’t know anything about the Bible. He continued to come to the Bible study. After about four weeks, he asked if he could have a one-on-one conversation with me. 
When we met, he looked straight at me and said, “I am not a Christian.”  I asked him why he said he wasn’t a Christian.  He answered that there were many reasons. When I asked him to give me one, he became very serious, and I could see he was wondering what he might say to me.  I had him turn to I Corinthians 6:9-10, which he read out loud.  I asked him what bothered him about this portion of Scripture.
He immediately said, “The people in that list are not going to inherit the kingdom of God.” 
 I asked him if he was in one of these groups.  He replied without stopping to think, “I am in a lot of those groups.” 
“Oh,” I said, “Then you are a sinner.” 
“It is worse,” he answered.  “I’m not going to inherit the Kingdom of God.” 
A week later, this man told me that he and his wife had received the Lord and they wanted to know what to do next. So I began having special Bible classes with them, and later they joined the church. He was a very gifted brother in many ways, including preaching, singing, and playing musical instruments.”

Paul, even in writing to the great church of Ephesus, warned the Christians about conduct not becoming to a Christian.  Let’s just look at the first five verses together:

(Eph 5:1-5)  “1Be ye therefore followers of God, as dear children; 2And walk in love, as Christ also hath loved us, and hath given himself for us an offering and a sacrifice to God for a sweetsmelling savour. 3But fornication, and all uncleanness, or covetousness, let it not be once named among you, as becometh saints; 4Neither filthiness, nor foolish talking, nor jesting, which are not convenient: but rather giving of thanks. 5For this ye know, that no whoremonger, nor unclean person, nor covetous man, who is an idolater, hath any inheritance in the kingdom of Christ and of God.”            
(Rev 21:8)  “But the fearful, and unbelieving, and the abominable, and murderers, and whoremongers, and sorcerers, and idolaters, and all liars, shall have their part in the lake which burneth with fire and brimstone: which is the second death.

Now I would like for us to return to I Corinthians 6:9-10: “9 Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God?”  [Answer the question!  Who qualifies as the unrighteous?  Well, let us continue the verse.] “Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind, 10 Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God.”

We can plead ignorance, but Jesus taught us over and over again that the unrighteous will not inherit the kingdom of God.

Let us look at Matthew 5:20.  Jesus said, “Except your righteousness shall exceed the righteousness of the scribes and Pharisees, ye shall in no case enter into the kingdom of heaven.”

Last week in a home Bible class, we were studying 2 Corinthians 6:11-18. As we took turns reading a verse each and seeing if we could draw some conclusions as to what the passage means, we got to verse 14, which says: “Be ye not unequally yoked together with unbelievers: for what fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness? and what communion hath light with darkness?” We talked a little bit about being yoked together with unbelievers.  They didn’t have any misgivings about that.  Then I asked, about “what communion hath light with darkness?” The teen-aged daughter gave a good scientific answer.  But then I said, “We missed one.”  What fellowship hath righteousness with unrighteousness?”  We came to a standstill. Finally, I explained what I thought this really means. They seemed to agree wholeheartedly. Since I thought I had gotten the point across, we went ahead and finished the rest of the passage. As I teach these verses, I pray that the Holy Spirit will use them to convince, to convict, and to convert.

The Apostle Peter wrote to professing Christians who were scattered throughout various countries of the Middle East these plain and penetrating words: “14If ye be reproached for the name of Christ, happy are ye; for the spirit of glory and of God resteth upon you: on their part he is evil spoken of, but on your part he is glorified. 15But let none of you suffer as a murderer, or as a thief, or as an evildoer, or as a busybody in other men's matters. 16Yet if any man suffer as a Christian, let him not be ashamed; but let him glorify God on this behalf. 17For the time is come that judgment must begin at the house of God: and if it first begin at us, what shall the end be of them that obey not the gospel of God? 18And if the righteous scarcely be saved, where shall the ungodly and the sinner appear?” (1 Pet 4:14-18) 


To be continued: This was Division I. A.  Next Tuesday I hope to share Division I. B. The Provision for the Sinner – Rom. 6:23b

No comments:

Post a Comment